Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Poster girl of Korean golf set for Dubai

Dubai: South Korea’s Seo Hee-kyung, dubbed ‘The Supermodel of the Fairways’, will make her Omega Dubai Ladies Masters debut at Emirates Golf Club from December 5-8, organisers announced on Monday.
With 11 victories under her belt on the LPGA of Korea Tour since turning professional in 2006, the 26-year-old has already become a force to be reckoned with at home, but it was her victory in the 2010 Kia Classic that earned her world-wide recognition and paved the way for her membership in the 2011 LPGA Tour.
Named the Rookie of the Year in 2011 on the strength of three top-10 finishes, including runner-up at the US Women’s Open, Seo boasts eight top-10s on the LPGA Tour this season. She is looking forward to replicating that success in the Omega Dubai Ladies Masters as she bids to follow in the footsteps of In Kyung-kim, her compatriot who won the event in 2009.
“The field in Dubai is pretty strong, as ever, and it will be fun playing there. I have never been to the city, but I do know there is a strong Korean community out there that is passionate about their game, so I don’t think I will be short on fan following,” said Seo, currently ranked 30th in the world.

With eight out of her 11 career LPGA of Korea Tour wins resulting from last-day heroics, she added: “It will be great to be in the mix on the final day, but I don’t to want to think that far ahead. I will try and do my best and see how things unfold,”
Welcoming Seo to Dubai, Mohammad Juma Bu Amim, vice-chairman and CEO of Golf in Dubai, said: “She is incredibly talented, versatile and a wonderful addition to this year’s field. I really admire the volume of quality golfers being produced by Korea, which has caught the attention of the golf world. “I think it’s all down to the combination of work ethic and access to top quality coaching that Korean golfers have become the sport’s new gold standard. I am sure the fans will turn up in large numbers to follow her progress. I wish her and all other competitors the very best.”

Content from http://gulfnews.com/sport/golf/poster-girl-of-korean-golf-set-for-dubai-1.1107090

No comments: